четверг, 5 мая 2016 г.

My mother's stories (chapter fifteen)

My mother’s stories
chapter 15
The only man she ever loved

Devotion – it was the basic feature of my aunt’s character and this quality determined all her future life. She was, as it turned out, a one-man woman and he ruined her life as most of them usually do.
I remember how startled my parents were when I told them that my future husband’s name was Peter. It was the very name of the only man my aunt Zina had ever loved. Maybe he loved her too – at least he kept his intention to marry another woman a secret from her. They even had a date on the day before the wedding. For a long time I considered this as a top of treachery, but now when I am much older and wiser, as I’d like to believe, I think it was rather a sign of passion.
Anyway, some time later after his wedding they resumed their relationship and through all my teens my mother used to tell me how wrong it was to love a man like that. After my aunt reached her thirties she felt, as she once told me, a strong desire to have some little creature trotting beside her, holding her hand. So she began to save money till she had a sum big enough to allow her to look after her baby for a year without having to go to work.
At that time society greatly disapproved of single mothers and deprecating whispers could often be heard behind their backs. My aunt, however, was a strong personality: she decided to have a baby without a husband and she gave birth to her daughter when she was 35. Yet nobody knew who the father of her baby was – she took this secret into her untimely grave. In her daughter’s birth certificate she wrote a different name – not Peter. Had she split up with him by that time or had she promised him not to reveal his paternity? Or, probably, it was some kind of protest against his treatment of her. There was a time when I really wished to know the truth but now I think it’s better like that. I have had my own reasons since then to have a grudge against the name of Peter without knowing the details of my poor aunt’s sufferings.
So that was the only relative our family kept in touch with. I was very fond of my aunt, especially in my early childhood, and was very proud that she allowed me to call her just by her name Zina as if we were sisters. Her presents always made me happy.  She didn’t give them to me very often but this only increased their value in my eyes. What a pretty set of toy china tableware she gave me once! Or my sledges - they were so light, with good slippery runners. Or my first tights. It was not so easy to find them in our shops – just as it had always been with things which were new and fashionable. All the girls dreamt about them! That was the difference between my aunt and my parents: she usually bought me those things that I really longed to have.
Another good thing about my aunt was her readiness to share her knowledge with me. My mother had never been consistent in this question. On one hand she often blamed me for my laziness and on the other hand was often reluctant to teach me. Sometimes she confused me with her completely incomprehensible to me hostility when I tried to clean or to put things in order in our messy dwelling. She used to grumble she couldn’t find anything after that. As I understand now she perceived our house and yard as her realm, created with her own hands, and no one could infringe on her supreme power there. Besides, deeply inside she had never wanted me to become a day older than five and a half. Most of my wrongdoings were usually followed by her stories about me being kind and responsible at this age.
My aunt, on the contrary, was glad to help me to grow up. I regret I was not interested in cooking at that time, because she was an excellent cook. But she taught me to swim, for example. Not being a very good swimmer herself, she helped me to overcome my fear of water. I remember how soothingly she tried to persuade me, telling me that every girl had to learn how to dance, cycle and swim. She regretted she couldn’t cycle herself. And I really took her directives close to heart. I didn’t manage to learn properly the art of dancing but swimming and cycling have become my favourite leisure activities.
I was 13 when my aunt’s daughter was born and, of course, it changed our relationship. She couldn’t support me as she used to and, I have to admit, I was not too eager to help her. Besides, I didn’t have a lot of opportunities for that because suddenly and completely unexpectedly for me my father’s usual friendliness towards my aunt turned into total coldness. My aunt became a rare guest in our house since her pregnancy and tried not to face my father if she could help it. I remember how shocked I was when my mother explained that my father didn’t want to see my aunt after she disgraced herself giving birth to an illegitimate child. Only much later she confessed that the real reason of this dramatic change in our family life had been my aunt’s request to let her live in our cabin, which was situated at the back of our yard. We lived there before our big house was finished. My aunt promised to leave after she got a room in the family dormitory. My father, however, was frightened by his co-workers. They told him a scary story about their acquaintance, who invited his relative to stay at his place for a short while and that person lived there for years and in the end sued him and got half of his house. It was not, actually, odd that my father was scared. At that time people got their dwellings for free but they were waiting for them in a queue for years, even decades. It was an especially slow process because there had always been people with money, who knew whose palms to grease to get their flats out of turn.
My aunt, for example, had been waiting for her two-room flat for thirty years. But she got her room in the family dormitory more or less quickly: in half a year or so. I think her room-mates’ complaints helped her in this matter. They weren’t happy, of course, to live in one room with a baby, when they had to get up early in the morning. Some of them had night shifts and wanted to have peace and quiet at the day-time too. But most of all it was my poor aunt who was suffering. Every night she was walking in the corridor with the baby in her arms trying not to disturb the other girls in their sleep. I remember how much older she began to look after this awful time. I am afraid I used to blame an innocent child for that.
In course of time we began to see each other more often and from time to time my cousin and I tried to make friends but it was always a failure. Mutual jealousy was the main obstacle, I think, which had always stood between us. I have gained only a few friends during my lifetime and now I regret that my cousin has never been among them.

To be continued…

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий